Why Brokers?

Home & Contents Insurance

Home & Contents Insurance Protection for your property and your belongings anywhere in Thailand.


Home & Contents Insurance in Thailand

What is Home & Contents Insurance?

Home & contents insurance is a comprehensive policy that combines coverage for both your home’s physical structure and personal belongings. It safeguards your dwelling against perils like fire, storms, and vandalism, covering repair or rebuilding costs. Simultaneously, it protects your possessions, such as furniture and electronics, from theft or damage, offering reimbursement for replacement or repair. This dual coverage provides homeowners or renters with a holistic solution, streamlining protection for their property and personal items. Customizable options, like endorsements for high-value items, allow tailoring the policy to specific needs, ensuring comprehensive and personalized insurance coverage.

What are the 4 main parts of Home & Contents Insurance?

Home & Contents Insurance protection in Thailand is broken into 4 main parts: 

Home & Contents Insurance Building and Fittings
Buildings and attachments
In home and contents insurance, the terms “buildings” and “attachments” refer to different aspects of your property and possessions that are covered by the insurance policy. Let’s break down these terms:


This typically refers to the physical structure of your home, including the main building and any permanent fixtures. It encompasses the walls, roof, floors, ceilings, built-in appliances, and other structural elements. In the context of insurance, coverage for buildings protects against damages or losses resulting from events like fire, vandalism, natural disasters, or other specified perils. The coverage may also extend to other structures on your property, such as garages, sheds, or fences.


This term generally refers to items that are attached to the structure of the building but are not part of its main construction. These could include fixtures like light fixtures, built-in cabinets, or even some appliances. In the context of insurance, coverage for attachments ensures that these attached elements are protected against covered perils. For example, if a fire damages your built-in kitchen appliances or a burst pipe affects your built-in cabinets, the insurance may cover the repair or replacement costs.

It’s important to carefully review your home and contents insurance policy to understand the specific coverage provided for buildings and attachments. Insurance policies can vary, and the coverage may depend on factors such as the type of policy you have, the insurance provider, and any additional options or endorsements you’ve chosen. Keep in mind that personal property inside the home, such as furniture, electronics, and clothing, is typically covered under the “contents” or “personal property” portion of the insurance policy.

Home & Contents Insurance Swimming Pools
Swimming Pools

The coverage for swimming pools and associated equipment under a home insurance policy can vary depending on the insurance provider and the specific terms of the policy. Generally, home & contents insurance may provide some coverage for swimming pools, but there are important considerations to keep in mind:

Structural Coverage: Some home insurance policies may provide coverage for the physical structure of the swimming pool, including the pool itself and any permanent fixtures like diving boards or slides. This coverage is typically related to risks such as fire, vandalism, or certain types of damage.

Liability Coverage: Home & contents insurance often includes liability coverage, which may extend to incidents that occur in or around your swimming pool. For example, if someone is injured while using your pool, liability coverage could help protect you from legal expenses and medical costs.

Personal Property Coverage: Personal property coverage within a home insurance policy may extend to certain types of equipment associated with the swimming pool, such as pumps and filters. However, coverage for this equipment may be subject to certain limitations, and it’s essential to review your policy for specifics.

Optional Endorsements: Depending on your insurance provider and policy, you may have the option to purchase additional endorsements or riders to enhance coverage for your swimming pool. These endorsements could provide coverage for items like pool equipment, pool house structures, or even damage to the pool itself.

Maintenance and Neglect: It’s crucial to understand that regular maintenance and preventing damage due to neglect are typically the homeowner’s responsibility. Insurance coverage is often designed to address sudden and unexpected perils rather than issues arising from lack of maintenance.

Before purchasing a home & contents insurance policy or if you already have one, it’s essential to carefully review the terms, conditions, and coverage limits related to swimming pools. If you have specific concerns or want additional coverage for your pool and its equipment, discuss these with your insurance agent. They can help you understand your existing coverage and explore options for any additional protection you may need.

Home & Contents Insurance Home Contents
Home Contents

typically refer to items that are considered part of the structure of the home rather than movable personal property. These are elements that are permanently attached to the building and are not meant to be taken with you if you move. While the exact definition may vary slightly among insurance policies, here are some general examples:

Permanent Fixtures: These are components that are attached to the structure of the home and are not intended to be removed. Examples include built-in cabinets, wall-to-wall carpeting, built-in appliances (like a dishwasher or oven), and lighting fixtures that are hardwired into the home.

Fittings: Fittings often refer to items that are attached to the structure but can sometimes be removable. This can include things like curtain rods, built-in bookshelves, or blinds. The distinction between fittings and furnishings can sometimes be nuanced.

Furnishings: In the context of a home insurance policy, furnishings may refer to items like furniture (sofas, tables, chairs), area rugs, and other similar items that are not permanently affixed to the structure but are still inside the home.

It’s important to note that coverage for permanent fixtures, fittings, and furnishings may be different from coverage for personal property or contents. Home & contents insurance policies often have specific coverage limits and conditions for these elements. Additionally, certain high-value fixtures or fittings might have coverage limitations, and it’s advisable to review your policy and, if necessary, discuss with your insurance provider to ensure you have adequate coverage for your home’s structural components and the items that are considered permanent fixtures.

Home & Contents Insurance Personal Effects
Personal Effects

Personal effects, also known as personal property or contents, refer to the belongings you own and keep inside your home. These items can include furniture, clothing, electronics, appliances, jewelry, and other personal items. Essentially, personal effects encompass any movable property that you own and would take with you if you were to move.

Under a home & contents insurance policy, personal effects are typically covered against specific perils, such as fire, theft, vandalism, and other named risks. The coverage for personal property is often a standard part of most homeowners or renters insurance policies. However, it’s essential to review your policy carefully to understand the specific coverage limits, exclusions, and conditions.

When you purchase a home insurance policy, the insurance company will ask you to estimate the value of your personal property. This helps determine the coverage limit for your belongings. It’s crucial to provide an accurate estimate to ensure that you have sufficient coverage to replace your personal effects in the event of a covered loss.

Keep in mind that certain high-value items, such as expensive jewelry, art, or collectibles, may have sub-limits or limitations in standard policies. If you own valuable items, you might need to consider additional coverage, such as scheduled personal property endorsements or floaters, to ensure adequate protection for these specific items.

Always consult with your insurance provider and carefully review your policy to understand the coverage for personal effects and any limitations that may apply. If needed, you can discuss additional coverage options to tailor your insurance policy to better meet your specific needs.

Additional policy protection under a Home & Contents Insurance policy.

Additional policy protections may be included such as: 

Many Home & Contents Insurance policies sold in Thailand are restrictive or inadequate. It’s important to closely examine the cover details to ensure what you need protecting is in fact being protected. Many exclude or limit jewellery and valuables and cover your possessions only in your home.

The basis of indemnity is also critical. Most, but not all, policies in Thailand apply a depreciated value taking into account the age and condition of damaged or lost items and are not ‘new for old’. 

At Thailand Insurance Service, we help clients avoid the pitfalls to find a Home Insurance policy that meets the protection being paid for and expected by policyholders. These policies will have a higher level of premium if buyers wish coverage similar to western standards, which they are used to and expect.